Monday 20 October 2014

More Carved Bowls

I recently found some lovely materials that have lent themselves nicely to some new ornamental bowls. Details on each below:

SMB Bowl #1 $80

Above is the front view of an ornamental "bowl". It's designed to either face forwards as shown above or up as a normal bowl. Below is the top view (or side view if used as a bowl).
Made from a spalted maple burl salvaged from the forest where it had been left to rot, carved, sanded and finished with shellac.




SMB Bowl # 2 $90

Above is a second sculptural bowl made from another spalted maple burl. The picture shows a side view and doesn't clearly show the shape as well as it should, but it is a truly one of a kind item.

Cherry Slipper Bowl $50

I don't usually try to get a particular shape with my sculptural bowls. Rather, I prefer to let the wood define the shape. However, as the cherry bowl above began to take shape it began to resemble a woman's shoe, so that's the shape I went with. Live edge cherry bowl with shellac finish.

Mini Crotch Wood Bowl $20

I'm not exactly sure what kind of wood this is. I suspect it may be cherry. All I really know is that I found a piece of wood in the forest and when I had finished making sawdust, this is what was left over. Miniature bowl with shellac finish.




Mini Spalted Bowl $15

A top view (below) and perspective shot of another miniature bowl. Only a few inches across with an amazing colour pattern on the bottom, this one could easily be turned upside down to make an entirely different ornamental piece.




Ash Root Bowl # 1 $65

Above and below are top and perspective shots of a bowl made from ash root. You can see the elegant tiger tail pattern in the texture of the wood.




Red Oak Leaf Bowl $15

Above and below: What passes for my attempt at an oak leaf shaped bowl. Made from red oak with a shellac finish.




Ash Root Bowl # 2 $60

Above and below: Another ash root bowl showing off the distinctive texture and inclusions of the wood.




SMB Bowl # 3 $85

Finally, the last of the bowls made from spalted maple burl. This one is functional as a bowl but has a very distinctive ornamental appearance.


That's it for this lot. Coming up are some riding toys, my pre-Christmas schedule and more. 

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment