Wednesday 19 February 2014

Custom Shelf

I was contacted back in the fall to do a custom wall shelf that would be a Christmas present. After spending some time getting specifics worked out, well, this was the eventual result. Since much of my work revolves around a scroll saw it's a bit on the decorative side. 



Above is the finished shelf as viewed from the front. It's made from pine and stained with Watco Cherry Danish oil. This one has two shelves; I have a similar one with 3 shelves holding up my DVD collection at home. Potentially, more shelves could be added as needed/desired. Note that each shelf has a spot for 2 screws to fasten it to the wall so more shelves don't increase the risk of it falling off the wall. Holes are spaced at 16" so they can be fastened into wall studs. 



One of the details that was worked out was what pattern or design was to be cut into the middle brackets. The customer decided on the hummingbirds and flower. Other designs are available or customers can provide their own. 


The roses cut into the bottom were probably my favourite little touch. They went along with the flower motif on the sides. I was really happy with how they came out. Again, almost any small pattern or picture could be cut into this spot, or it can be left out entirely if desired. 


A close up on the middle bracket. Note the Roman Ogee on the edge of the shelves. I was going to just use a round over but felt it needed a bit more. 

When all was said and done the customer was happy, the recipient was happy and I was fairly pleased with how it came out. For custom shelf pricing information or to ask about anything else please email me at mapleridgecreations@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment