Friday 19 September 2014

Lots of new bowls and Madoc Fair Weekend

So right off the start, it's Madoc fair weekend. Of course if you took the time to read the title of this post, you already knew that (clever folk that you are). 

Needless to say, I will be there all weekend long. I set up my booth this morning, just inside the door to the left. I look forward to seeing some of you there. I'll even throw in a little extra this weekend: if you come to see me at the fair and mention this blog post, I'll give you 5% off any purchase or custom order over $20. 

Now on to bowls. I like bowls. Specifically i like making bowls. There's just so much artistic freedom in making them. To day features some carved bowls that I've made (mostly in the past week.

I live with my family on a lovely bit of mixed forest, where there's always lots of stuff to make into things just laying on the forest floor. However, between May and September the insects are bad enough that it's not really worth the fight to go and get materials. That makes bowl carving from recovered natural sources a somewhat seasonal activity. 'Tis the season!

Simple Red oak Bowl # 1 $15

 These two shots are of a small, shallow oak bowl. The above shot shows the bottom of the bowl, the pic below shows the top. Finished with shellac.



Maple Burl Accent #1 $40

These two bowls were both made from small maple burls. The pics don't do them justice, but they are pure eye candy. Wonderful contrast between the burl wood and the naturally hollowed centers. The one shown above has the bark still on while the one below has had the bark removed and shows some inclusions. Finished with Saman clear gloss.
Maple Burl Accent #2 $40


Simple Red Oak Bowl #2 $20 SOLD

Red oak bowl with spalted sapwood bottom, hand rubbed finished with Naturoil.


Spalted Birch Bowl $45

Spalted birch has some of the most amazing and vibrant colours to be found in Eastern Ontario forests. It also presents some difficulties in working it, but I think I've managed to over come those here. Top pic is a shot from above, bottom is more of a profile pic. Finished with shellac.



Pair of white cedar bowls. The longer one is finished with oil and Clapham's Beeswax. The shorter one has a CA glue finish, polished with Clapham's.

White Cedar Bowl # 1 $20

White Cedar Bowl # 2 $20

Of course that's just in addition to what's already in stock. These are one of a kind so be sure to hurry. The fair starts this afternoon but the inside exhibits (such as myself) will be open tomorrow and Sunday only. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment