Tuesday 2 September 2014

New Recycled Desk

So here we are again. Three weeks ago my wife and I had a new baby and by strange coincidence I haven't had time to put a blog post up since. Odd...

A little while ago some friends of ours had an old captain's bed that they were going to throw out or burn. I'm a sucker for free wood so I offered to take it off their hands. I figured something would suggest itself as a suitable project for some recycled wood. 

At the same time, I have been wanting to get a proper office done up in the basement where my shop is. I have a computer sitting in one corner of the shop where I spend a few hours a week trying to get all of the dust out of it. We have a room down there that was originally designed as a small home office, but i would need a desk, a chair, some shelves, etc.

After much musing about the size of desk I wanted to make/have, I finally decided that the bed would furnish (pun intended) enough wood for the desk I had in mind. 

 Front view of the "new" desk

It took a lot of sanding to get through the old, amber coloured finish, but the result was worth it. Some beautiful aged pine. The sides of the bed became the top and sides of the desk while the sides of the drawers became the front.

 Top view

At the time these pictures was taken there was still no finish on the desk, just bare wood. I've since put some finish on it but haven't taken any more pictures. These photos don't quite do justice to the texture and colour of the wood (I think the drawer sides might have been cedar) but it does give a rough idea.

From the side

It will likely be a while before my office is done. Time is scarce right now and personal projects don't get to happen very often. Still, it is encouraging to get something done for myself every once in a while and even better when the wood comes free!

A brief reminder that custom work of all sorts is is available. I don't think I've ever had a request I couldn't complete, or a completed project where the customer was dissatisfied. The largest single item I've built so far was a set of 14' long floor to ceiling bookcases; the smallest: a single bookmark.

Send your custom wood working inquiries to mapleridgecreations@gmail.com for a free price estimate and consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment