Wednesday 12 November 2014

The Joy of Finishing

It's been a long day in the shop and I'm not done yet, but i thought I'd take a short break for a quick post. 

Just for a bit of fun I thought I'd talk, just for a moment, about finishing. Specifically, why finishing is important. 


All of the pics posted here are of a small freeform carving I did from a piece of ash root a short time ago. Above and below are front and bottom shots after sanding was done but before finish was applied.

At this point it's not a bad looking piece (IMHO) but it's also not particularly eye catching either.




Here (above and below) are shots of the same piece after a couple coats of finish (clear shellac in this case). 

A little bit of finish can really make the grain pop and bring out the colour of the wood. 


I could talk for a long time about selecting finishes, what to use when, etc. etc. but for tonight I just wanted to show off the difference a little finish can make to a piece. 

I will be setting up at Zella's Christmas Craft show tomorrow (located between Robin's Backwoods Cafe and the laundromat in Madoc) and getting ready for the Boutique of Hope sale at CHSS on Saturday. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment