Friday 6 December 2013

New Clocks

Well, it's definitely that time of year again, so I thought I would post some of the newer clocks to come out of the shop for your consideration. (see what I did there: "time", "clocks"? Guess I should probably stick to woodworking then...). 

I like doing clocks. They are a wonderful blend of form and function, art and practicality. You can display so much of your interests, hobbies, personality or favourite TV show or hockey team and pass it all off with the redeeming notion of keeping track of time. 
These are the latest out of the shop, but I hope to have some more coming next week as well (time permitting). 

Basic Guitar Clock $35 each (colour can be customized)

The guitar clock is made from 1/4" baltic birch ply and stained Minwax Early American with a light Varathane finish. I expect a lot more of these to be on their way in the future, probably not only in different colours, but possibly in different styles of guitar as well. Maybe even different instruments ( I know a French horn player who I just know wants a clock with her instrument of choice).

Walnut Flair Clock $55

The "Flair" clock I've done before, but not quite like this. The previous model was stained pine and 3/4" throughout, but this one is 100% walnut, 3/4" backer and 1/4" base. A light oil finish brings out teh colour and leaves the wood looking natural.

Snowflake Clock $40

The snowflake clock is another redo, but this time I've left the pine all natural. There was some beautiful grain colouration in this piece that made it feel like a very wintry clock, so I left it alone and just gave it a light shellac finish.

Mother and Child Clock $55

Unfortunately there's a bit of glare off the clock in this one. The back is solid 3/4" cherry while the front picture is 1/4" birch ply. The clock is a mini in this one, just a little 1 7/8" insert. Very classy piece in my estimation and a great gift for any mother.

Any of the above can be made with different colour schemes or wood species. Custom ideas are always welcome and appreciated.

I would like to give credit where credit is due: The above designs are all used with permission from Steve Good of scrollsawworkshop.com. Steve does a lot of excellent work and spends a lot of time on new designs so that guys like me can spend a bit less time playing with computers and drawing and a lot more time in the shop. Thanks Steve.

To make up for lost time this week, another post should be following after this one in just a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment