Thursday 26 September 2013

Custom Clock Offer...In Detail

Ok, so a few of you have pointed out that my limited time custom clock offer is a bit vague on details. Or rather, what a custom clock order might look like is a bit vague. So I'm going to try to provide as much information on my custom clocks as possible.


What Can You Make Into A Clock?
First of all let me be clear: almost any design, shape, pattern, picture or idea can be turned into a clock. My gorilla pull toy (not on the blog yet) can be turned into a clock. A picture of your grandparents can be turned into a clock. Any solid cut word that I do can be turned into a clock. Any...well, you get the idea.

Clocks can be made out of any kind of wood. Plywood, veneer, cookies (not the baked kind, it's a round piece of wood cut from a log), and of course dimensional lumber. This might include a board from an old building, a cookie from a tree that used to be outside your house, timbers from an old ship or boat, or a nice piece of driftwood from your family vacation.



What Kinds Of Shapes And Sizes Can You Make Into A Clock?
Shapes are limited only by your imagination (and the laws of physics: I can NOT make 5th dimensional artwork into anything 3D. You know who you are...).

I have thought about posting some of my already existent patterns here, but frankly it would take too long. Feel free to look around online for samples of wooden clocks or email me requesting some samples.

Suffice it to say that clocks can be shaped like almost anything: boats, animals, people, buildings, etc. and they can be either 2 dimensional (cut from a single piece of wood with no significant depth) or 3 dimensional as with a box wall clock or a grandfather clock.

Size varies depending on a few considerations.
Clocks with traditional faces (such as those pictured here) are made with clock inserts which range from 1 7/16" to around 8 1/2" (I think I might be able to track down some 11-12" ones as well.
Clocks with dials and movements (no "glass" face) can be made in almost any size, with dials made from metal, wood or paper depending on your preferences.

A quick note on clock faces: There are a wide number of options available for clock faces. I will not try to list them all here, but they include different coloured bezels (the usually metal rim around the face), backgrounds, number styles and more.


What  Other Options Do I Have?
Once the basic designs are dealt with (materials, shape, size, face) the remaining options are fairly simple.

Colour
I tend to stain a lot more than I paint. To me, if you're going to have something made out of wood, why cover up the grain? Ideally if you want a particular colour we can just use that kind of wood, but since walnut is around 5-7 times the price of pine...well, suffice it to say I use a lot of pine in custom work for folks.
To see some colour samples of what is available to me check out the Minwax website here: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/ and the Watco page here: https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=46.

Please don't choose from the Minwax Polyshades collection as it is a product I refuse to use. It's like the one failed Minwax product...otherwise those guys do great work.

I am also open to trying new products as long as I can obtain them (or you provide them). Minwax and Watco just happen to be what I can procure locally and without hassle.

Finish
The final decision is basically how shiny do you want it. Finishing options range from plain oil (low protection, easy maintenance and repair, low sheen) to paste wax (low protection, high sheen) to polyurethane finishes (high protection, available in matte, satin or high gloss).


And that's it. You've ordered a custom clock. I know it seems like a lot to take in, but once you have the idea the consultation (in person, email takes longer) is normally under 10 minutes. My favourite thing about making a custom piece is that it is the only one of its kind anywhere. Patterns are fine and many of them look great, but for a true heirloom piece, custom is the way to go.

The Deal
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but this seems a good place to reiterate it:

Until the end of October I will give a 10% discount on any clock. Not 10% off material, or labour but off the final price. This is a token of my appreciation to my many customers who have made the first few months of business successful. For those who think that 10% isn't much of a discount, please keep in mind that my prices are already phenomenal and I am a one man shop with pretty small margins already, producing one of a kind handmade products. 10% is pretty sweet!

Note: Discount does not apply to shipping costs. Shipping is billed at cost so I have no wiggle room in shipping prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment