Thursday 1 August 2013

Side Table

So, something a bit...different, or at least larger, than usual today. 

I was out shopping for lumber last week and came across a stash of wormy soft maple. There was some beautiful spalting and curls in this stuff and I knew I had to do something to really show off the beautiful grain and colour. Something bigger than my usual scrollsaw stuff. 


A table seemed like a logical choice for showcasing grain, and a side table seemed a good size for an afternoon project.

The top is made from the wormy maple, the legs are spruce stained Minwax Early American. I didn't take a close up shot of the legs, but I liked the way the stain brought out the grain pattern.


Currently working on a matching coffee table and I'll probably had the pics of that up next week sometime.

These are essentially showcase pieces for me, but i would love the opportunity to make something a bit bigger out of this stuff. It looks so much better up close than the pictures can do justice to.

Let me know what you think and feel free to send along your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment